Disability and Other Equality Groups
A recent survey of people with disabilities found the following:
- 63% of respondents reported that they were not in work, and 91% of those were not seeking employment - well above national averages.
- Over 30% of respondents stated that they found it difficult or very difficult to manage on their current income.
- Nearly half of disabled people in work said that they had experienced discrimination in the workplace.
- A significant majority of respondents (78%) felt that they faced barriers which limited their life chances.
- Almost half of those surveyed stated that, because of their disability, their level of academic attainment took longer than non-disabled students, and over half claimed to have had their courses or choice of subjects restricted.